July 15, 2016
Hon. Leslie Ellison Announces Re-Election Campaign for Orleans Parish School Board, District 4
The Honorable Leslie Ellison is strongly pursuing re-election for the Orleans Parish School Board (OPSB), District 4, seat she currently holds. District 4, comprised of constituents from Algiers, Faubourg Marigny and the French Quarter, favored Ms. Ellison and elected her to represent their educational interests on the school board in 2012.
In her official capacity, Ms. Ellison provides compelling board leadership in the areas of policy, facilities, accountability and fiscal oversight.
Announcing her re-election campaign, Ms. Ellison said: “I have unwavering love for the children of Orleans Parish and remain fully committed to ensuring that every child has access to quality public schools of excellence to fulfill their purpose in life. My commitment is to continue to place the needs of children and families first, while remaining on the forefront of education in our community and district. I am honored to serve and also prepared to provide the citizens of District 4 with the consistency in leadership that they desire and deserve.”
Ms. Ellison’s leadership and voice have leveraged successful outcomes for children and schools of District 4 and throughout the OPSB and local charter schools’ networks, most notably:
- Pay raises approved for OPSB teachers, para-educators, security officers & child nutrition personnel
- OPSB selects and approves contract for new superintendent
- Reunification begins for the return of schools to OPSB
- Alice Harte Charter School moves into new state-of-the art facility
- New school construction begins at Edna Karr, Paul B. Habans and Kipp New Orleans school sites*
- School renovations at Eisenhower Charter School*
- School renovations begin at Harriet Tubman, William J. Fischer, Eleanor McMain, Benjamin Franklin and Warren Easton Charter Schools*
- School renovations slated for Martin Behrman Elementary and McDonough 32 Charter Schools*
- Championed DBE participation in OPSB contracts and procurement
Since assuming office, Ms. Ellison has served as OPSB Vice President as well as Chair of the Budget & Finance, Accountability, and Legal & Legislative committees. She was also elected to serve on the Orleans Parish Democratic Executive and Committee and the Democratic State Central Committee earlier this year.
The election is on Tuesday, November 8, 2016. Early voting will take place October 25 – November 1, 2016.